2/08/2010

Crockpot Spaghetti

I needed a super fast and easy crockpot meal the other morning and I just grabbed what I had on hand to make this meal. It turned out to be Delicious. (yes with a capital D). I got this idea from Stephanie O’Dea’s cookbook – which I won not too long ago at Dining with Debbie’s Crockpot Wednesdays!! Thank you Debbie, I LOVE this cookbook; in fact I have just about every other page marked to try.

For my sauce this is what I had on hand:

A large can of diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings, a jar of spaghetti sauce, a can of tomato paste, some minced garlic, basil and oregano.

Then, since I didn’t have time to brown ground beef and dice onions I decided instead to use chicken and sausage:
I only threw one in there for the picture but I squeezed 5 of them out of their casings and directly into the sauce. The chicken breast tenders were just thrown in frozen.

I threw everything in – didn’t measure the seasonings, just sprinkled on and about a spoonful of garlic and mixed it all together:
Then I went about my super busy day.

And when we got home past 7, we were starving, and the smell coming from the crockpot was driving us wild. I opened it up to take a peak:
It looked good! But you can’t tell from this picture that it was very watery. So I turned it on high and left the lid off while I went about getting the noodles and garlic bread on. Meanwhile, hubby googled “watery spaghetti sauce” (I guess?) and found that if you added about 1/4 cup of mashed potato flakes to the sauce it would thicken up. I figured it couldn’t hurt – and it didn’t!! So I used a little more than 1/4. I swear I didn’t even slightly notice a difference in taste. Very nice little trick!!

By then the boys were sitting at the table, forks in hand, pounding on the table like 2 year olds for their dinner.

You are waiting for me to say that I’m joking right?

Keep waiting.

So finally, after THE LONGEST TIME TO BOIL NOODLES EVER (apparently) I served this up!! And it was beautiful. And delicious. And wonderful. And WOW I can’t believe I just threw together a bunch of things and walked away, this was some of the best spaghetti ever!!
Let me know if you try this!!

Love and Luck to you,

The Packet Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does this sound good to you? Let me know!