11/12/2009

Curry From a Packet


The first meal hubby ever cooked for me was a curry stew, I had never had curry before and it was so wonderful that it became a regular meal on the menu plan! I normally use a packet called Vermont Curry- Mild... I actually have 3 of them in my pantry, but I've had a Hawaiian Curry packet in my pantry for a long time and I figured it was time to try it.

Here it is:
 Can you tell by how wrinkly it is that it's been rolling around in my packet bag for quite some time?



Since I've never made this before, I just followed the directions on the packet, so here is what you need:
Flour, chicken (or whatever meat you feel like), potatoes, onion, carrots, celery.

First, salt and pepper the chicken and add it to a bag of flour to coat:
Add it to a pot with hot olive oil:
While it is browning, chop up your veggies. I only had two carrots left, so I added some extra potato and celery, and made my trademark onion mush, also with some celery blended in:
After the veggies are done, the meat should be done as well, here is what mine looked like after about 5-7 minutes:
Add in the veggies:
Mix it up and cover with water:
Now, boil for 30 minutes, no cover, stirring frequently. After 30 minutes it should have thickened up a bit:
At this point, take the packet and mix it with 1 1/2 cups of water (and if you are going to serve this with biscuits get those in the oven):
Add the packet mixture to the pot:
Stir it in and let it cook for another 10 minutes, I let it go about 15 because I was waiting on my biscuits and it didn't hurt anything!

Here is the final product:
The verdict? It was good! My stepson had 3 bowls, hubby had 2, and I had just one. I do think that the Vermont Curry packets turn out with more flavor, this one was very mild, so it might be a good place to start if you haven't yet tried curry, or if you have picky eaters! If I see the packet on sale again I'll most likely pick it up!

Let me know if you try it!

Love and Luck to you,

The Packet Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does this sound good to you? Let me know!