1/19/2010

Crab Cakes

Joining up with Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, and Slightly Indulgent Tuesday today!! This is one of the many recipes I have been meaning to post, cooked way back in 2009!!

Hubby has a close to Christmas birthday. According to him this is a travesty. And he has threatened to move his birthday to July Fourth if it isn’t celebrated properly and separately from Christmas!!! I can’t say that I blame him. So when I asked him if he’d like to go out for his birthday dinner or have me cook, he jumped on the idea of me cooking. Because he knows I make awesome crab cakes!


And they are so simple that anyone can make them. It isn’t exactly a “packet” but it’s a can – the recipe is right on the back of the can, and I’ll reproduce it for you here. This time I grabbed a can of Phillip’s Lump Crab Meat so I used their recipe, but I have used other brands before and they always turn out yummy and are always easy.

Here is what I needed:
Parsley, mayo, egg, butter, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, seafood seasoning, yellow mustard, lemon juice, ground mustard, and of course lump crab meat.  I have all of this on hand except the crab meat!

And I’m not kidding when I say these are easy. You simply mix all the ingredients together except the crab:
I followed the amounts on the link, except I only used about half of the mustard it called for and I used about a teaspoon of ground white pepper. In case you don’t like clicking links (I feel the same way) here is the list with my tweaks:

½ tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 egg
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. ground white pepper
1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
½ tsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. mustard
1 ½ tsp. melted butter
½ tsp. parsley flakes
¼ c. breadcrumbs

After mixing it all together, I opened up the crab and delighted in the big huge chunks of crab meat:
I love crab. LOVE it. When I was 4, my parents and their friends had bought a bunch of shelled crab meat, I mean around 5lbs of it. They left me inside to watch a cute little princess movie while they were socializing outside, out of earshot…

I ate every last bite of crab.

They were a little angry.

But it was all their fault! Honestly.

Anyway, fold the crab into the mixture:
And then form the patties:
At this point you can add the patties to the fridge until you are ready to cook. I did these around lunchtime to save myself time.

When you're ready to cook them add some olive oil to a pan, heat it up, and add the patties:
Cook on medium-high heat for around 5-7 minutes on each side:
AND Voila!!
Crab cakes, a nice big sirloin, and a baked potato!

Hubby loved his birthday dinner!!! And it was so unrelated to Christmas that it might as well have been July!!! (except for those Christmas placemats we were eating on…)

Let me know if you try these!

Love and Luck to you,

The Packet Queen

4 comments:

  1. My hubby loves crab cakes with a salad. THANKS!!! for the recipe.
    Don't forget to come by and visit so you can enter my giveaway.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I wish I had been there for that meal!! I love a great steak, plus all the extras like those wonderful crab cakes. Thanks for the recipe and linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Those look divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these last night and we all LOVED them! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Does this sound good to you? Let me know!