10/28/2009

Cream Cheese Party Dip

This has been around in my family for quite some time. I can't tell you how many times my mom and I have been asked to write out the recipe on the spot after someone tried it!

I made this for my best friend's baby shower (doubled it even) and it disappeared, I did the same thing for a casual potluck wedding party and even though I ran out of crackers, people were scooping it up on to veggies, chips, and whatever else they could find. And just recently I made it for Girls Night In with the neighbors! 

Around my house, this was classic Christmas Eve fare. I grew up having a love hate/relationship with it because while it tastes unbelievable, I have a strong aversion to crunching into onions. So, I used to sit there and pick all the onions out of it and then spread it on my crackers. Now, I just throw my onion in the food processor and turn it super mushy, problem solved!! 
So here is what you need:

A package of cream cheese, dried beef (this will be down the aisle that has Spam/tuna/etc), an onion, a splash of milk, and a splash of Worcestershire. 

First, put the cream cheese in a big enough bowl to mix everything, and then you will need to rip up the dried beef. This also comes in a smaller container, which I normally would use for this amount of cream cheese, but I had this one in my pantry so it's what I'm using. Word of caution, do NOT stick your nose into the jar and take a big whiff, because you might run far far away from this recipe, and that would be a huge mistake! Just avert your nose and do the dirty work. I threw mine in the mini food processor and pulsed it around a bit then add it to the cream cheese:
You can see I've already chopped up my onions and thrown them in there too. Nice and mushy, just the way I like them. 

Next, add the milk and the Worcestershire and add a dash of each into the mix. Don't add too much, just a little bit to help mix everything together. More Worcestershire than milk. Mix it all together with your hands:
** I tried to get measurements specifically for this post while making this - I messed up!!! I used 1/2 TBS of milk and 1 TBS of Worcestershire = WAY too much! So just stick with a "dash" of each, and don't add a lot, remember you can always add more if things aren't coming together, but you don't want it to be soupy like mine. I luckily had a little extra cream cheese in the fridge and scooped some of that in there to make up for the soupiness:
I added around two scoops that size in order to make up for my mistake!

Once you are done mixing, go ahead and cover it and stick it in the fridge, either overnight or for the better part of the day - this is essential because it lets all the flavors blend together, if you don't do this it won't taste right, I promise. Here it is right before I stuck it in the fridge:
Then shape it into a ball, prop it on a dip platter, and add some Ritz Crackers. Be sure to buy at least two boxes of crackers if you are going to have a lot of people. Since it will probably be only around 10 neighbors at the party,  one box should do it for me.

This is one recipe I couldn't live with out - quick to throw together, very few ingredients, most I always have on hand, and always a huge hit! Make it for your next party and you'll see what I mean! 

Here's the printable version! Let me know how it turns out!!

Love and Luck to you,

The Packet Queen

1 comment:

Does this sound good to you? Let me know!