10/20/2009

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplins


I just recently discovered Crockpot Wednesday's over at Dining with Debbie! I love to use my Crock Pot and since I have class at night on Mon and Wed it is pretty much the only way my family gets a home cooked dinner. Yesterday I made this delicious meal and you can read how to make it for yourself below or you can click here to skip my rambling and go to the printable version.

This meal does not use a packet, but it does use cans! Cans are kind of similar to packets right? Just open them, dump them in, and toss them (into your recycling bin - unless you are trying to hide the cream of mushroom evidence from a very picky 13 year old who HATES mushrooms, in which case you wrap it in dirty paper towels and put it at the bottom of the trash can - the Earth will forgive me).

So here's what you need for this meal...



Boneless Skinless chicken (breasts or tenders), pepper, seasoning salt, cumin, parsley, 1 can each: cream of chicken, celery, & the dreaded mushroom, can of corn, can of peas and carrots (or just carrots if you don't want to push it), 1/2 of an onion (chopped or thrown in the food processor) and a refrigerated can of biscuits.

This is a two step crockpot meal - so while I normally just dump everything in and wait until dinner... this one requires an additional step, but it's definitely worth it!!!!

FIRST you should have these on hand:


Unfortunately, I am fresh out and forgot to grab more, which means extra clean up for me :(. But if you have them, I would definitely use them with this recipe.

Next, you are going to throw your chicken into the crockpot. I use around 1lb, but you can vary this based on your needs, word to the wise, this doesn't make for very good leftovers because in the microwave the dumplings turn into crunchy chewy yuckiness unfortunately, so don't plan on making more than your family will eat. I use chicken tenders (the full bag costs us around 6 dollars and usually makes 3 meals) and throw them in still frozen:


From here, you are going to add a little flavor, throw on some pepper, some cumin, some seasoning salt, and some parsley. Just a little of each, no measuring required, here is what mine looked like after being sprinkled:


As you can see, no real rhyme or reason. Next, open up the 3 soups and dump them in along with your chopped onion:


Next, drain the veggie cans and drop them into the pot as well:


And finally, take one of your soup cans and fill it with water and dump it in there as well. I had a picture of this but it looked so unappetizing I couldn't bring myself to post it, so here it is after stirring everything together:


This cooks on high around 4 hours.


NOW, for the second step to this delicious dinner! You are going to take the chicken out and shred it up into chunks. You could do this in the pot I suppose, but I think it's easier this way. You could have also done this at the beginning with thawed chicken, but the chicken isn't as moist if you do that! Here is my chicken being shredded:

Next, take the package of biscuits and pop them open, put them on a clean surface and pepper both sides of them like so:


And then rip them into pieces and throw them in, you can stir them in as you go and they will seem a little gooey, but that's fine, just get them in there! You don't need to be exact on size, as you can see:

Cook this on high for another 2 hours and you've got dinner! (I noticed that it kind of sticks to the sides since I am not using my liners, so I really recommend using them!!)

I am linking below to the original recipe I adapted this from, I tried it the original way, and then I tried adding just cream of celery, then I tried chicken broth, and different seasonings, serving veggies on the side and mixing them in!! I've tried this many ways, and THIS way has by far gotten the best reviews by dh and ds, so this is the way I make it!! But on that note, without the original recipe I'd be nowhere, so I must give credit where credit is due, thank you very much to Janiece Mason over at All Recipes for giving me the inspiration for this meal!!!

Here is the simplied recipe without all of my rambling and photos: Crockpot Chicken and Dumplins on Foodista

Let me know how it turns out!!

Love and Luck to you,

The Packet Queen

5 comments:

  1. this looks delicious. I'll be letting Debbie know this one gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flavors in this. Thanks so much for posting it to Crock Pot Wednesday. Your voting THIS WEEK is correct. Should I rephrase the way it is written to make it simpler? Thanks again and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tami!!

    Debbie, I think your wording was fine I just hadn't seen anyone else vote so I worried that I jumped the gun!! :) Thanks again for hosting this, it's great to see so many other people love their crockpots as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT!!! recipe. I love using canned soup they're a GREAT!!! addition to a YUMMY!!! recipe.
    I have become a follower of your blog. I love to share recipes, come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same. Geri

    ReplyDelete

Does this sound good to you? Let me know!